Happy New Year...still?

I wasn't going to post this out of the suspicion that I may be acting prematurely. But, it happened again today. I received an email; it begins..."Happy New Year to everyone." Really? Happy New Year...still? At what point is the year no longer considered new? Technically, it's still the beginning of the year. But don’t you agree that the time to use the phrase, Happy New Year, as a salutation, expired? Things are only new but for so long around here, so I wonder if I'm being impatient, but I just don't think people should be using it anymore. It's as if either they forgot to have New Year's or they're still recovering from it, one or the other. And, what's worst is that I can't figure out how to discourage those around me from still using it. If I go to visit someone that I haven't seen in a few weeks, and they say "Hey, how's it been, Happy New Year" I can't just say "stop saying that, stop saying Happy New Year" I'd sound ridiculous. I probably do sound ridiculous. Whatever, stop saying it.
PS I'd like to give a shout out to my man KTSmart, holdin it down in the IST! One!
(Am I the only one that doesn't know what "one" means?)

3 Comments:
Shyra, I agree with you, however, many people feel that if they haven't seen you in the new year, they feel the need to say , "Happy New Year" because they didn't spend New Year's Eve with you. That said, there should be a rule that doesn't allow people to say "Happy New Year" after a certain day, just like the rules that say you're not supposed to wear linen after Labor Day, pregnant women aren't to wear daisy dukes, and you don't mess with a black man's piece of chicken, because some people just don't get it!
Shyra, I agree with you, however, many people feel that if they haven't seen you in the new year, they feel the need to say , "Happy New Year" because they didn't spend New Year's Eve with you. That said, there should be a rule that doesn't allow people to say "Happy New Year" after a certain day, just like the rules that say you're not supposed to wear linen after Labor Day, pregnant women aren't to wear daisy dukes, and you don't mess with a black man's piece of chicken, because some people just don't get it!
Lunar New Year (aka Chinese New Year or Spring Festival) begins on 1-29-06. Are any of these people Asian? It is common among Asians to wish someone a happy new year in this season. This is the biggest holiday of the entire year in Asian countries.
Post a Comment
<< Home