I took one for the subway team

I'm not going to hate. I get on the subway without reading material and read over shoulders sometimes. It's pitiful, I know, but hey, some days I'm late for work, forget my books, and just don't have the time to pick up the paper. And, unfortunately, the NY Metro and AM New York guys who hustle their free papers in the subway stations just don't make it out to the Courtelyou Rd stop (and there is no news stand). In any case, I went to the grocery store today after work, and while I was in line, I picked up my favorite guilty pleasure...Us Weekly. While I was secretly reading my Us Weekly on the subway (I hide the cover so no one can see what I have, although I'm sure they know I'm indulging in smut. I should probably expose myself seeing as that an onlooker could assume that I was reading In Touch, or, heavens forbid, Star!...Even I have my limits!) But, I digress. As I’m reading, some dude gets on the train three stops before I leave. For whatever reason I looked at him and thought, PLEASE don't sit next to me. But of course, with my luck, he plops down. And then, this dude IMMEDIATELY starts reading my Us Weekly. And, like I said before, I've done it myself, so I can’t hate, but this dude read MY Us Weekly, like it was HIS. I couldn't take it anymore, I turned to him and asked, "Do you have far to go?" And he says, "Yeah, Sheapshead Bay (close to the last stop on the train). Why, am I bugging you?" I had to refrain from laughing. This guy was reading my magazine so hard I was hesitant to turn the pages because I wasn’t sure if HE had finished reading. I had no choice, I just handed off my coveted Us Weekly. "Here," I said, "I'm done, and besides, I'm getting off next." It was the half-truth, I was getting off next, but I didn't even get to my favorite section "Stars are just like Us". But, I had to do it; I had to take one for the subway team.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home